Central Mourne granite monument with descending steps of white stone leading down to the garden. The inscription reads: “This memorial and park is dedicated to the memory of those members of H.M. forces from this area who served and died 1914-1918 1939-1945 and subsequent conflicts Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends”. At the right corner from the entrance stands a restored former Belfast City gaslight. The adjoining plaque reads: “This lamp has been erected and dedicated to the memory of those innocent victims of the Shankill bombing on Saturday 23rd October 1993 and to all innocent victims of terrorism from the Shankill community To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. St. Luke. Chapter 1 Verse 79″.
Shankill Memorial Park
Address: Shankill Road, beside the West Kirk Church, Shankill.
Commemorating: Members of H.M. forces from the Shankill area who served and died 1914-1918, 1939-1945 and subsequent conflicts. The nine victims of the Shankill bombing on 23 October 1993 and all civilian casualties from the Shankill community.
Commissioned by: Not known.
Date unveiled: 16 August 1992
Notes: The Memorial Park was established on the interlapping ground of two famous old streets, Argyle and Urley, that belonged to the old area of the Shankill affectionately called 'The Nick'. It was built in the mould of Belfast's Cenotaph in the grounds of the City Hall. Memorial stone dedicated by the Reverend Bishop Samuel Poynz. Memorial lamppost and plaque unveiled and dedicated on 29 May 1994. Entombed within the lamppost is a casket containing the ashes of many of the thousand plus floral tributes placed on the Shankill Road following the 1993 bombing.