Series of three stones. Top stone – Crown. Left stone – (Red) Hand of Ulster. Right stone – Crest of the city of Belfast. Plaque reads: “For God and Ulster 1912 Ulster Volunteer Force South Belfast Battalion trained in the adjoining brewery yard These stones are kept in remembrance Lest we forget”.
UVF, South Belfast Battalion (1912)
Address: Sandy Row, Sandy Row.
Commemorating: South Belfast Battalion, 1912 Ulster Volunteer Force.
Commissioned by: Not known [UVF].
Date unveiled: Not known.
Notes: The plaque refers to the Brewery Buildings erected in the adjoining area in 1869 by the Belfast and Ulster Brewing Company. Early in the 1880's, the Brewery ceased operations and from then, until redevelopment, the premises were occupied by a variety of trades. From 1908, they served as the headquarters of South Belfast UVF. The stones of the crest above the front entrance were retained when the Brewery was demolished and incorporated in the entrance to the local Community Centre as a memorial to the Volunteers who lost their lives in the Great War. They are thought to be the last surviving artifacts from the UVF's initial mobilisation in Belfast in 1912.